Tuesday, May 12, 2015

My Thoughts on Essential Oils || Blends for Mamas & Littles


For a while now, I've been hearing more and more about essential oils.  Honestly, I thought it was somewhat hippy-like and was very skeptical.  I'm not a "crunchy" mama by any means, but I find myself searching more and more for natural products to use for Olivia.  My sister started using oils on my niece to help her sleep more soundly and I laughed at her at first and then sure enough asked her to make me a sample too.  Around that same time, I "met" Holly from @hollystic_oils on IG and saw there were so many uses for essential oils.  Holly sent me four blends to try on myself and Olivia, which I was very interested to see the outcome. I love how she labeled the oils that she sent, complete with directions on where and how to use it. 



The first blend I tried was an Uplifting Mood Blend. This contains fractionated coconut oil, Elevation blend, Frankincense, and Wild Orange essential oil.  This one is supposed to uplift your mood and can be applied to your wrists, back of neck, bottoms of feet and over your heart.  This one was slightly strong for me, but I do notice that it seemed to make me more awake and I enjoyed the hint of orange.  The Meltdown Mommy Tamer above is a great idea.  Mommies have meltdowns too, right?! My sister is a nurse who works nights and I think this would be good for her, as night shifts are hard on your body and mind. A little "uplift" would probably be helpful to wake up after less sleep than needed and also for new mommies who are missing quite a few hours ;)

The next blend I tried was the Heartburn Relief Blend.  This consists of fractionated coconut oil & DigestZen essential oil.  I have a hiatal hernia, which essentially leaves me with heartburn 24/7.  I currently take a prescription daily to help, but at times that doesn't work.  I've been using this blend and I've definitely noticed some relief from it.  I also like how it smells, which is important because who wants to walk around smelling weird? ;) 


For Olivia, I received the Sleepy Time Blend, which consists of fractionated coconut oil, Lavender, Cedarwood, Juniper Berry, and Vetiver essential oils.  I liked that it was a mix to create a deeper sleep.  She's a light sleeper and I think this has definitely calmed her and put her into a deeper sleep.  Every night, she asks for her "Oyyees" and likes to put them on her feet herself. I think it's really cute that she knows that's part of her nighttime routine now.  I've also used this on myself and I think I sleep much sounder with it.  I've always loved lavender so this smells wonderful to me.

The second blend for Olivia was the Keep Calm Blend.  This consists of fractionated coconut oil, Balance blend, Serenity blend, and Cedarwood essential oils.  I really like the smell of this one as well, as I've tried it myself after pre-dinner-I'm-tired-and-hungry-meltdowns (...both of us).  I've thrown it into the diaper bag when we're planning to go out for the day as a "just incase" and I've also used it on her when I see she needs to calm down before bed or is getting frustrated during an activity.  

I'd definitely like to use more essential oils in our life. Whether for health or cleaning, I'm interested to try more natural methods to reduce symptoms of colds, headaches, etc. There's so many more blends that can be used for anything from pregnancy symptoms, sore throats, anxiety & much more.  A big thank you to Holly from @hollystic_oils for letting me try out these blends! Be sure to check her out on IG - she has tons of tips and blends for everything! 

What are your experiences with essential oils?  Do you have a favorite blend?  Is there something that has changed your life? I'd love to hear! XO 

1 comment:

  1. I love Holly's tips on IG! So glad she was able to help you work essential oils into your daily life! Welcome to the EO world! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by...I'd love to hear from you!

Blogger template designed By The Sunday Studio.