Saturday, October 30, 2010

Recipe Wreath!

A while ago, I saw this great tutorial over at Jones Design Company on a book wreath.   Such a cute idea!  I decided that I wanted to make mine for the kitchen area to bring some life to it.  As I've said before, right now we are renting so we can't change much physically, although our landlords completely renovated the kitchen and it's a wonderful change, but I thought adding the wreath would be a nice touch.  I basically followed Emily's tutorial & changed it ever so slightly.

These are the materials that you will need:


Old cookbook {I loved how it looked vintage with the yellowed pages}

Glue gun & glue sticks

Foam wreath {it looks small here, but it gets much bigger once the paper is added}

Satin ribbon & two pins


So lets get started...

First, rip out the pages of an old book.  I chose an old cookbook from my grandma to go along with the kitchen theme.  I loved how it had a vintage feel with yellowed edged and old-fashioned recipes.


Then after your glue gun has heated, fold the pages like this:


I varied each page going back and forth between the ripped edge and the yellowed edge.  I chose to glue the bottom pages together before gluing the whole page on the wreath. Once you fold the paper like what shown above, put little dabs of glue between each fold at the bottom where my finger is...then once the bottom is glued {it will look like a small paper fan} put glue on one side of the paper on the bottom like this (sorry so blurry):


Then push onto the wreath...


Continue around until it looks like this:


Now, flip it over so it looks like this:


Start your second layer by doing the same as above {gluing the bottom} and fold slightly to attach to the wreath like this:


Continue your way around for the second layer...


Watch out for glue gun burns! Ouchhh


Moving on to the next layer, do the same thing and overlap the second layer.  Since I was using a cookbook, I tried to vary pages by recipe titles and directions.


Once you are done with your third layer, it should look similar to this:


Side view, LOVE it


Then add a fourth and fifth layer and leave the bottoms hanging off slightly in the middle.  You will glue those to the back layer next.


and...


Now, turn the wreath over, and glue each of the front flaps back like this:


Flip it back over and fill in any areas that are looking a little bald :)


Now measure your ribbon for the correct height you need and add a pin to hold the ribbon in place


Then add another:


The final project, in all it's glory: 


{Don't look at the icky decorative titles}


I'm picturing it hanging in a beautiful window over the kitchen sink in our future home!

Hope you enjoy this!  If you create you own, I've love to see! These would work great for dining rooms (using music sheets), baby rooms (vintage baby books), family rooms, anywhere..Enjoy!!

Happy Halloween Eve!

4 comments:

  1. cute! I just started following - from Thrifty Decor Chick's post! LOL :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! I definetly want to try this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stopping by from TDC! I love your ideas! I will be a follower for sure! I have a friend who has done a wreath like this using dictionary pages but I LOVE the recipe idea! How cute! I may have to steal it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen the book page wreaths before, but never one with recipes! What a clever idea for the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by...I'd love to hear from you!

Blogger template designed By The Sunday Studio.