Sunday, January 30, 2011

No Sew Pillows!

Hello Everyone!

Hope you are having a wonderful Sunday :)  I'm so excited to share these pillows with you! I had no idea what I was doing & the result turned out great ~ don't you love when that happens!  I'm sure many of you have seen the Ballard Design "Mr. and Mrs." pillows, here's a refresher:
{Ballard Design}
I loved them when I saw them, just the right amount of rustic.  I've seen other bloggers recreate these (so cute!) and I thought why not??  I also stopped into Home Goods the other day and admired their pillows, but the $50 price tag - I think not. Off to Joann Fabrics I went...

{If you do not have a fabric store near you, click on the link to Joann Fabrics above and you can order from their website!}

Okay, lets get started... here's what I used to create 2 pillows:


  • 1 yard of burlap-looking fabric
  • 2 pillow inserts (small - also found at Joann's or Ikea)
  • No Sew Glue
  • Silhouette machine or stencil equivalent
  • Fabric Paint
  • Small Paintbrush





I started my Ballard Design pillows by laying out the fabric, doubled to have a front and back with one cut and placed the pillow insert on top, leaving approximately 1 - 1 1/2 inches all around.  Again, no clue what I was doing... just trust me ;)... knock-off say whattt


...ya know just eyeball it ;)



Once those are cut, start with your stencils!  I used my new Silhouette machine, but you can use any type of stenciling method you have on hand.


I made the letters about 3" tall...


Tape the stencil to the fabric using any tape you have and try to center the letters where you would like them on the pillow.  I tried to stay in the upper middle part. I added a small sheet of waxed paper in between the fabric, which really helped the letters not to stick to the bottom piece.  Now, paint inside of your stencils using a small brush.  Only use a small amount of paint to create the rustic, stamped look...


  Remove the stencil after you are done painting, before paint dries


and continue with "Mr."...



now let dry side-by-side...awww...love.


now, the fabric paint states that you need to let the fabric dry for 4 hours...whatt?! I think not.  If you are impatient like me, let dry maybe 25-30 mins then check it out for tackiness.

After they are "dry," apply a thin line of glue about a 1/2 from the edge and leave about 1 inch at the top of the fabric:

Do the same to the other side, leaving the top of the fabric open to slide pillow insert in.  Let dry inside out for at least 15 minutes on the dining room floor a flat surface:


When the glue is dry (or strong enough to not pull apart) turn the covers inside out again, right side in...whatever...just the right way with the words on the front :)


Slip in the pillow insert...


and you are left with some excess fabric, so I just folded it up nicely to close the seam and glued it shut like this:



and there you have it!  Easy right?? I love them...




Hope you've enjoyed this tutorial: now go make your own no sew knock-offs!!

Linking to these lovely parties:


UndertheTableandDreaming


Weekend Bloggy Reading





Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special











25 comments:

  1. Oooo---very nice knock-off!! I love it when people can recreate a catalog look for much, MUCH less! You did a really great job. I have not ventured into pillow making yet, but I think I will soon. :) Thanks so much for linking up to my party, Kaitlyn. Have fun finding some new reads. :) Hope you'll stop by Serenity Now again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saw you at Serenity Now.

    Great pillows! I can't believe you didn't have to sew at all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. VERY cute! I think I will have to try this project! And can you tell me what the name of the font is that you use on your blog? :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you! The post font is "Coming Soon" and the post title is "Homemade Apple." I just noticed different fonts were added to blogger if you scroll all the way down from the normal fonts i.e. times, arial, etc. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look great with your bedding! Great job :D Thanks for linking up to "Amaze Me Monday" blog party.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute! I have Mr. and Mrs pillow cases that I bought before we got married but I really like these! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job on the pillows! Very cute. A new follower, Honey

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job! They look great!
    ~ Renee @ Shabby-Chic-Charming@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are adorable! Good job. So nice ot have you at the newbie party. I would love for you to add my link indicating you are joining in...great way to get other newbies involoved:) Thanks so much, and have fun making some new friends!~

    ReplyDelete
  10. SO cute! I think I am going to have to try and make those. You made it look so easy maybe even I can try it. :)

    Found you through Debbiedoo's and now following you.

    Hope you have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post! I think your directions were easy. I am definitely going to try something like these.

    I am here from Debbiedoo's Newbie party and am also a Newbie. :)

    I'm your newest follower.

    Have a great day!
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Kaitlyn! I can see that there are two cute love birds in your bird's nest! You did a great job on those pillows and they look fabulous on your bed. I am your newest follower. Stop by and visit my little nest where I live with my own love bird.

    Love,
    Susan and Bentley
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cute and easy. They add some nice whimsy to your bed :). Blessings, Kim

    ReplyDelete
  14. So cute!! Great job! I found your blog from debbie's linky party. I am now following along I am a newbie too come check me out if you get a chance.

    noplacelikehomeally.blogspot.com

    ~Allyson~

    ReplyDelete
  15. The cutest pillows. TFS I'm going to try these. Thanks again....

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are great! I don't sew and usually see these great projects and have to skip them - I need to try this one. Thanks for linking up to Mostly Made By You!

    ReplyDelete
  17. too cute! those look awesome, and it totally does not look like you don't know what you're doing :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are so cute, I'm plesed I found your blog via Debbiedoos, you have some fab ideas, I shall be following to see what other great projects you share

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love these! And I am so not a sewer..so this is something I can do!!! They look great..and I love the Mr. Mrs.!!! I think I might have to do this!!! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So very cute! I love this idea! BTW I'm your newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very cute! I like that you didn't have to sew! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think I'll be making these pillows at some point. I saw them in the catalog and just love them. Hey -- another question totally off topic -- how do you get such a fun font to work on your blog? Can you email me so we can chat about that?

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOVE THESE! Great tutorial! I would love for you to link up to my Ten Buck Tuesday link parties!

    I want a Silhouette so bad I can hardly stand it!

    www.youngnester.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such a great idea. I may even have to try this for the Scrabble letter pillows I have been seeing lately!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by...I'd love to hear from you!

Blogger template designed By The Sunday Studio.