Tuesday, January 18, 2011

New Blog? {opinions wanted!!}

Wow it has been a while since I've posted! Since New Years day I've been sick off and on...boo...but I've been reading my favorite blogs daily and looove thinking up new projects and drooling over reading about new recipes.  OMG have you read The Pioneer Woman?! My sister reads her blog all the time and for me, it has been love since first click.  Her recipes sound sooo yummy!!  I have truly enjoyed decorating my new home and it's constantly a work in progress.  Whether it be decorating, organizing, cleaning, cooking, etc there's always something going on here at The Birds Nest.  That being said,  I'm thinking of creating a new "sister" blog.

Some of you may remember reading in previous posts that I used to be a teacher and due to budget cuts, I lost my kindergarten classroom and position.  The quick run down: graduated college, substitute teacher, maternity leave teacher, graduated with Masters, teachers aide, Kindergarten teacher, jobless.  I am currently subbing here and there and waitressing on the side.  Being newly married, I am thankful that my hubby has a full time job and I can be on his health benefits, but in hopes of buying a house one day - subbing and waitressing just isn't cutting it.  Again, I love love love being home, but being home isn't going to get us a 3-4br, 2.5 bath and a white picket fence.


I'm currently feeling lost as to what to do... I love teaching...I love decorating...I love blogging...

My mom suggested I create a "teaching" blog.  Ya know helpful hints, teaching techniques parents can use at home, articles, etc.  I'm sure some parents could use some magic techniques they could pull out at home to help their child with homework, projects, etc. It seems like a really good idea, but would anyone read a teaching blog??? Of course I would have my resume readily available incase it happens to bring about a teaching position crosses fingers (probably not posted on the blog... because let's be honest ya never know who is reading - ok like you would post your info?? nope) I could post about links to sites I've used as a teacher, grade-leveled book lists, and printable worksheets for parents to do with their children, etc... does this make sense to start???

I would really love any opinions - good, bad, indifferent... anything would be appreciated to get this blog rolling (or not). Thanks & have a great night!



8 comments:

  1. Coming from a fairly overwhelmed Mom of 4, one of which is struggling with reading, I would love a blog like you are describing. I would love fun creative ideas to motivate, encourage and support my son (and all my children). I would love to see resources, practical ideas and possibly reassurance as a parent. I think you are really onto something here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Obviously I'm all about this! DO IT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Kaitlyn! I think you have a great idea. :) My oldest starts kindergarten next year and I'm already a little nervous. ;) Have you thought about applying at a preschool?? I'm sure they'd be falling all over themselves to hire someone with a degree. :) Thanks for linking up to my party. Hope you'll stop by Serenity Now again soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. When can we expect to see your new blog?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Two of my closest friends ADORE Pioneer Woman's recipes! They rant, and they rave about them. Also, I say just go for it with your teaching blog. There is no harm in trying it out. Good luck!

    MBL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all so much for your comments! The new teaching blog is slowly in the works...hopefully in a few weeks it will be up and running! As soon as I am ready to publish I will list the new website address & I'd love if you passed it along to other blog friends, etc!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a 7th grade teacher on year 20. I find it incredibly sad that you don't have a job. I hope that you'll luck out next year and get one.

    A teaching blog sounds like a good idea to me. I'll bet that parents of young kids would really appreciate your tips.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are lots and lots of home school blogs. I am not trying to discourage you -the opposite in fact. I just want to suggest that your new blog should be from a different perspective. Maybe you could focus on activities and projects families can do at home to enhance their public school careers. After school and weekend projects that work to enhance or further study they are doing in school. Also, there is a movement called "after schooling". It's parents that home school after public school hours. They do stuff they think the public school is lacking in. I have a few favorite home school blogs if you wanna check out any shoot me an email and I'll forward you a list. Personally I like your perspective. I am a home school mom that will be sending her daughter to public school next year. I don't want to quit learning at home but I'd like to work in conjunction with her teacher not separately. Just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by...I'd love to hear from you!

Blogger template designed By The Sunday Studio.