Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Guest Bedroom/ Man Cave Inspiration...

*Warning: opinions are solely my own, unlike my hubby who likes to claim this space as "his own"*

Well, I have a confession...

I hate our guest bedroom man cave.  Hate is a strong word... so maybe lightly hate... but hate is still in there.

I love every other room in our home, but that "man cave." Why you ask??  Well I'll let you see for yourself:









Well there it is.  It's out there... for all the blogging world to see.  I love the other rooms in our home (still renting) - although I am still constantly thinking of other things I can do... but I'm waiting until we own our own home to go crazy!

Now, where to begin?  We bought the corner entertainment center and refinished it, which opens the room up more than our old wall piece.  The recliner and couch were given to my hubby by my parent's friends (thank you!) when he was living the bachelor life in his old apt.  The rug was a score from Bed, Bath and Beyond for around $15.  The uniforms in a huge pile - courtesy of my hubby.  The laundry baskets, pillows, cat supplies, etc... thrown in there for fun...

This is really the only piece I looove (unfortunately it's hiding in this room until we have space for it somewhere else)... we found it at a garage sale for $40 and it's an authentic trunk over 90+ years old!!



I just don't know where to start.  I don't want to spend a ton of money - well let's face it... we don't have the money to spend right now.  It's kind of an awkward space to fit furniture in, but I'd like it to be more functional... and pretty organized.  Any suggestions would be great, hopefully I'll have a post down the road showing a wonderful transformation ;)  We all can dream right?


6 comments:

  1. Love the new layout!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How brave of you to share.....I too have a space in my house very much like this. Ugh. I hate it too. Want to go on a covert mission to declutter and make it nice- like the rest of our house. I am trying so hard to respect his crap, but there may be a tipping point very soon.

    That trunk is AMAZING! Must use it in your home....end table, coffee table, under a console. Oh, must bring it out into the light!
    love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for stopping by my blog, I'm following back. Loving that stopping by Serenity Now led me to a great new blog to read!! I can't wait to see what you come up with down the road. I have a room like this too, an awkward formal living room. I just don't understand formal living rooms. i'm constantly trying to spruce it up and make it more functional, but we just don't use the space. It's in the front of the house, so I'm hesitant to use the space for something else.

    I do think that trunk is fabulous, you need to highlight that. It would make a great coffee table. You could slip cover the couch in a more neutral tone. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Kaitlyn! I'm stopping by from Amanda's:) I have to tell you I LOVE that trunk! I really think it would make an awesome coffee table in that room. Or you could leave it against the wall and add a cushion to the top and turn it into a bench. Good luck with the redo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kaitlyn, that trunk was the first thing my eyes landed on! I think it's fabulous!!! That would be a great spot to hold linens, or even magazines. I wonder if you could save up for an inexpensive set of neutral slipcovers, and bring color in with throws and pillows? Your room has potential. :)

    Thanks so much for joining my "Bliss-at-Home" project today! Hope you'll stop by Serenity Now again soon. (And thanks so much for posting about it!!!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two trunks, one similar to yours, were one of the first purchases that my hubby and I made together. Yours caught my eye right away! I use one at the foot of a bed for storage and the other is beside the door to hold the mail. My mom uses one for a coffee table.

    I found your blog through Amanda's party.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by...I'd love to hear from you!

Blogger template designed By The Sunday Studio.